I’ve been trying to think about all of the crazy, unhelpful, annoying, or just plain (ahem) depressing things that people have said to me since I’ve been struggling with depression. Here’s a first crack at the list:
- You know God still loves you.
- If you would spend more time outside, you would feel better.
- Have you considered dieting?
- Do you have an unconfessed sins that are weighing you down?
- Things will get better eventually.
- Have you tried acupuncture?
- It’s all in your mind. If you decide to be happy, you will be.
There’s a long list of them, but I’m tired this morning. Can anyone help me out to fill this list in? What are the crazy and unhelpful things people say to you when they find out your depressed?